This casserole was a winner in our house. Let me tell you how I know. My 10 year old, who is by far my pickiest eater, ate four servings! Now, she had been swimming all day and had gone to gymnastics for 2 hours, but this is my child who usually picks at most things, especially casseroles! I like that the younger kids can eat it “plain” and my older kids as well as Dan and I could “dress it up.”
- 1 bag French Fries (26-28 ounce) thawed, Pick your favorite shape, my kids like Crinkle Cut
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened (I used light)
- 2 cups sour cream (I used light)
- 3 tablespoons Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix (or 1 packet)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Green Onions, sliced
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Anything you like on your Bacon Cheeseburger!
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch dish. Use the deepest one you have. Spread ½ of the thawed french fries in the bottom of the dish. They will not completely cover the bottom.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper over medium high heat. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain the grease from the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the stove top and melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes until bubbly. Slowly add the chicken broth and milk, bring to a simmer and remove from the head. Whisk in the softened cream cheese, sour cream and ranch dressing mix.
- Place ½ of the beef mixture over the french fries in the prepared dish. Cover with ½ of the cream cheese mixture, followed by ½ of the Colby Jack cheese. Repeat layers with the french fries, beef, cream cheese mixture and Colby Jack cheese.
- Bake covered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cooked and crumbled bacon. Return to the over and continue baking uncovered for 15-20 more minutes.
- Serve casserole with desired toppings.
[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]