If you give this Chicken and Noodle Bake a try, I think it will become a family favorite. It’s a great basic recipe with chunks of chicken, veggies, and egg noodles in a creamy sauce. This-old fashioned dish reminds me of eating dinner when I was younger and casseroles were really popular. I’ve updated it and left out the canned soups, which I think gives it a fresher taste. It can be made ahead; just don’t put the topping on until right before you bake it.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tablespoons of reserved butter, melted
- 1 cup crushed Ritz Crackers, (about 20)
- 1 small can Durkee Onions, crushed
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery and carrot. Saute for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and their liquid has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour in the skillet and continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth and milk, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, cooked egg noodles, shredded chicken and peas.
- Pour ½ of the noodle mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with ½ of the cheese. Cover with the rest of the noodle mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and mix with the crushed crackers and Durkee onions. Sprinkle on top of the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Linked to the following party:
Six Sisters’ Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party