Our oldest daughter, who is in her sophomore year at The University of Kansas was having a bit of a stressful week a couple of weeks ago. As a parent you feel so helpless that you’re not there to help them, but you also know that it is part of growing up. I wanted to send her a little pick me up to brighten her spirits. This delicious snack mix is the best. Sweet and salty is our favorite, and the peanut butter m&m’s just take it over the top!
- 5-6 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1½ cups peanuts
- 2 cups peanut butter M&M's
- 1 stick (1/2 cup butter)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Line 2 lipped baking pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the popcorn, pretzels, Rice Chex, Corn Chex and peanuts.
- In a heavy saucepan melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn mixture and stir to coat. Work quick because it will begin to harden up on you.
- Divide the mix between the 2 prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, rotating the pans ½ way through cooking.
- After removing the pans from the oven let cool for a few minutes and then mix in the peanut butter M&M's.
- Let cool completely and break into pieces.
Linked to the following parties:
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
AKA Design The Weekend Retreat Link Party
Clever Chicken Chick Clever Chicks Blog Hop