I am in love with the smoky flavor that Chipotle Chiles add to a dish. I knew I wanted to make a Chipotle Macaroni & Cheese, but wasn’t sure what flavor to pair the Chipotle pepper with. Then it hit me… Caramelized Onions. I think that the hotness of the Chile peppers pairs nicely with the sweet onions and the creamy white cheddar. If you’ve never used Chipotle Chiles, they come in a can and you’ll just use a little bit of it. If you’re interested, I have another post that uses them, and I tell you what I do with the leftovers. You can find it here at the end of the recipe.Hope everyone has a great weekend!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and THINLY sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces Penne Pasta (I use Penne because I think it pairs nicely with the onions which are about the same length.)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ Chipotle pepper, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle sauce from the can of Chilies
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups White Cheddar Cheese (8 ounces), shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter and add the olive oil.
- Add your onions and saute for a few minutes until they begin to get soft.
- Add the 2 tablespoons sugar and turn the heat down a little.
- Continue cooking for about 20 minutes until they are a golden brown.
- Drain any excess oil and set aside to cool. (I take mine out and place on a couple of paper towels to absorb any excess oil.)
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, diced Chipotle, and sauce.
- Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add your flour and whisk constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and bring to a boil and simmer for a minute until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese a handful at a time stirring until melted.
- Add the caramelized onions and pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Place in a baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
Linked to the following parties:
Katherine Martinelli Food Bloggers Support Sandy
Carole’s Chatter Food on Friday Pasta & Noodles
Gooseberry Patch Comfort Food Link Party
[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]
Share Your Thoughts