Do you ever get in a chicken rut? I sure do. It seems lately all I’ve been doing is baking it and using it in casseroles. Well, I set out to change that. We grill a lot of chicken in the summer, which I love, but sometimes it’s nice to have a dish you can make when you don’t feel like manning the grill. My girls love Ricotta cheese and I had some leftover from a lasagna I had made, so this is what I came up with. We enjoyed it with some fresh green beans.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (6 ounces), divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3 green onions, chopped with green tops included
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets, pounded thin or slice thick chicken breasts in half horizontally
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the Ricotta, Parmesan cheese, ½ cup (2 ounces) of the shredded Mozzarella, green onions, basil, thyme, nutmeg, kosher salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Place a chicken breast in front of you smooth side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place ⅙th of the Ricotta mixture on the half of the chicken breast toward the pointed end. Fold the wider part of the chicken over the ricotta mixture. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs and olive oil. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken breasts and press into breasts. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese. Return the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.
Linked to the following great parties:
Jam Hands Recipe Sharing Monday
Mandy’s Recipe Box Totally Tasty Tuesdays
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday