When I was at the store last week, I got a great deal on colored bell peppers. We aren’t big green pepper fans in our house, but give us red, yellow or orange anytime. I try to keep them sliced in baggies so the kids can grab them for a quick snack. We especially like to dip them in hummus — it is so delicious.
Those of you who are regular readers of our blog know that my family loves the flavors in Southwestern food. I had some leftover grilled fajita chicken strips and my bag of colored peppers. Normally I would saute onions and peppers in some olive oil, but it was really hot and I didn’t feel like turning on the stove top. I was looking through my recipes, came across my Chipotle Grilled Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Slaw, and thought maybe a Southwestern slaw would make an easy summer dinner. This would also be yummy served as a side to other grilled meats or burgers.
- ¼ cup light mayo
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 2-3 tablespoons minced cilantro, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag (10 ounce) cabbage or equal amount chopped cabbage, about 4½ cups
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 5-6 green onions, chopped
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until combines. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cabbage, red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and the green onions. Toss to combine. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to let the flavors combine.
- Serve with grilled fajita chicken on tortillas or as a side dish.
Linked to these great parties:
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
Everyday Mom’s Meals Church Supper
[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]
Hi Kim and Julie, just popped over to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Childhood Favourites was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today. Cheers
Kim and Julie (Sunflower Supper Club) says
Thanks so much Carole! We will be sure to check it out. Have a great rest of the week!