I told you not too long ago that I was craving Sloppy Joes. I love the sweet and tangy flavor of this classic sandwich. It is a favorite with my kids as well. A few weeks ago I saw this casserole on Pinterest from Buns In My Oven that combined the sloppy joe flavor with another favorite of my family, cornbread. What a brilliant combination. I used my homemade sloppy joe sauce and added a twist by using some BBQ sauce in combination with the ketchup. This comes together quick and is perfect for a weekday meal when you’re short on time.
- 1 box (8½ ounces) corn muffin mix
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 can (14¾ ounces) cream-style corn
- 2½ cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- ½ green pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- diced green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the muffin mix, milk, egg, cream-style corn and ½ cup (2 ounces) of the shredded cheese. Mix well and pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cornbread layer is cooking, brown the ground beef in a large skillet until brown. When the beef is about done add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, water, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, kosher salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking on low for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and poke the top with a fork to make holes in the cornbread.
- Spoon the beef mixture evenly over the cornbread.
- Top with the remaining 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Cooks Note: If you want a classic Sloppy Joe taste just use 1½ cups of ketchup and omit the BBQ sauce.
Here’s a couple more yummy dishes for you with a cornbread base…
Linked to the following parties:
AKA Design The Weekend Retreat Link Party
Clever Chicken Chick Clever Chicks Blog Hop