Our youngest daughter has a cold. I know this because she appeared in the kitchen and asked for a cup of “Sip Away A Sore Throat.” I know exactly what she wants. I go to my little recipe box and pull out a little magazine clipping I found years ago. It is a homemade hot drink that does seem to help soothe a sore throat.
After making it for her today, I thought I should share it with all of you who would like a natural hot drink to soothe your throat. Does it get rid of the cold? Probably not, but, it does make your throat feel better.
The following is for a cup of the “tea” as we call it, but I often take the recipe times 3 and make a teapot full. I hope it helps your family “Sip Away a Sore Throat.”
- Pinch of clove (or 1 whole clove)
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon (1/2 cinnamon stick)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- Mix a pinch of clove (or 1 whole clove) which is an antiseptic and fights infection) with ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger and ⅛ tsp. cinnamon (1/2 inch cinnamon stick) to fight inflammation.
- Infuse the tea in 2 cups boiling water (this means let it steep a few minutes).
- Stir in 4 teaspoons honey (soothes irritation).
- Hand to the person you love to help their sore throat or keep it for yourself as a sign of how much you love yourself!
- I also use whole spices when possible (like in the picture) because the finished product is less grainy.
- We have also used ground spices for everything and it works just as well.