If you asked me for my “go-to” breakfast casserole, this would be it. Simple and basic, hearty and filling, it’s great for kids and adults alike. In fact, this is the breakfast casserole my kids have requested the last several Christmas mornings. Just add some fresh fruit and you’re done!
Sausage and Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Author: Sunflower Supper Club
- 1 pound ground Breakfast Sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Maple Flavor)
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Frank's Hot Sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided (or your choice, I sometimes use Colby/Jack)
- 5-6 cups frozen Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed (20 ounces)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet (use the largest you have), brown the ground sausage and onion over medium heat, until cooked through, and drain.
- Add the flour to the sausage and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for a minute or two until thickened, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the Frank's hot sauce and 2 cups of the cheese.
- Stir until melted and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the hash browns, beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
- If your skillet is not big enough to add the hash browns and eggs, transfer to a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13" Pyrex dish.
- Top with the remaining 2 cups of cheese.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Cook's Note: It is great if you want to make ahead and refrigerate overnight.
Enjoy! Kim[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]
The Better Baker says
Looks and sounds amazingly delicious. YUM! I made a br’fast casserole over the weekend and talked with friends just yesterday about them too – how beloved they are. Thanks for sharing another tasty dish.
Spatulas On Parade says
I love breakfast casserole, that’s what I call it and fix often.
Thanks for linking up with us at Foodie Friends Friday link party today. Remember to come back on Sunday and vote.
Lois Christensen says
Looks like another dish I will be trying! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!
Sarah Evans says
Ooh – this sounds really yummy! I can imagine having some lovely brown sauce with this too 🙂
Julie E says
Oh I love a good breakfast casserole. They make mornings so easy. I’ll definitely be trying this more my traditional Christmas breakfast get together this year. Thanks for sharing at Wednesday Whatsits!
Julie E says
You’ve been featured! Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday Whatsits! http://www.whitelightsonwednesday.com/2012/09/wednesday-whatsits-25.html
Yum! I love breakfast casseroles. I like that your casserole has hot sauce in it. I usually incorporate some type of pepper or hot sauce into my recipes.
Thanks for linking up to Saturday Dishes! Have a great Sunday.
Julie @ This Gal Cooks
Paula Jones says
Yum~~ Thanks for sharing at SAturday Dishes http://www.callmepmc.com/2013/03/saturday-dishes-brunch-recipes-call-me-pmc.html Pinned! ~ Paula