My family loves our Spinach & Artichoke Dip. It seems to make an appearance at a lot of our gatherings. While I love the original version of this dip, over the holidays I was trying to think of how to dress it up a bit. Adding bacon to the dip was kind of a no-brainer. Bacon makes anything better. We like to dip bread in roasted garlic and olive oil. I had roasted some garlic for dinner earlier in the day and decided to stir some into the dip. This made it insanely good and definitely takes this classic dip to a new level. I apologize it has taken me this long to get the recipe to you. At least you’ll have it for all of the March Madness basketball games. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt & pepper
- 10 slices bacon, cut crosswise into ½" pieces
- 1 bag (8 ounces) fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 packages (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1¼ cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the top off of the bulb of garlic and place in the middle of a large square of aluminium foil.
- Drizzle with the oilive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Bring the corners of the foil together and tightly seal, leaving room in the packet.
- Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Carefully open the packet and set aside to cool.
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat. When cooked, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the spinach and diced onion. Cook over low heat until the spinach is wilted and most of the liquid is removed, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat; add the cream cheese and stir. Add the mayo and sour cream, mixing well.
- Stir in ½ of the cooked bacon and reserve the remaining to garnish the top.
- Add the artichokes, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, hot sauce, kosher salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic from the bulb onto a small plate. Mash with a fork until smooth and then stir into the dip.
- Pour into a lightly greased dish and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with reserved bacon and serve.
Let’s stay in touch…