As a busy mom to four on the go kids, I am always on the lookout for healthy snacks that are grab and go. When my husband sent me the link for these I knew I had to make them. These Protein Energy Bites were featured the other day in the Kansas City Star food section. They are from the Kansas City Royals team nutritionist, Mitzi Dulan. She says these tasty protein snacks are a favorite of many guys on the team. They are chock full of natural healthy ingredients that will give you energy on the go. Mitzi says that the challenge is not to eat too many, and I would agree with her. It tastes like you are eating a cookie and I like that it doesn’t have that “protein powder” taste. In her recipe she uses dried apricots. We didn’t have any dried apricots so I used dried cherries instead.
- 1¼ cups old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut
- ½ cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup dried apricots or cherries, chopped
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- Combine the oats, coconut, almonds and protein powder in a medium bowl and mix. Add the honey, dried fruit and peanut butter. Mix well and place the the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. Using a cookie scoop (mine was 2 tablespoons) shape into rounded balls. Store in the fridge. They should last about 5 days. Makes about 2 dozen.
Linked to the following parties:
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
Ramblings of a (Bad) Domestic Goddess Healthy Living Link Party
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday