The official start of fall is just around the corner. I love the crisp air in the morning and the anticipation of all that fall brings. When the temperature starts to fall a little, I’m ready to make my first pot of soup for the season. I tend to make heartier soups because in my family “soup is not a meal.” That is a quote from my husband, Dan. This Italian Sausage and Corn Chowder is a crowd-pleaser. If you are making this for kids or a crowd and you’re not sure if they like spicy foods, definitely use the Sweet Italian Sausage. But if you’re not afraid of a little heat, try the spicy sausage which makes it delicious.
- 1 pound hot Italian Sausage (use Sweet if you don't like spicy food)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups half & half
- ¾ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup celery, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup carrot, shredded
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- green onions, sliced for garnish
- Cook sausage in a dutch oven over medium heat until browned. Remove sausage from dutch oven and set aside. Drain excess grease leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes until tender. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and half & half. Bring to a simmer. Add thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Add red pepper, celery, carrot and potatoes. Return the sausage to the dutch oven. Continue simmering for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add corn and continuing simmering 5 minutes or until the corn is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sliced green onion.
Linked to the following parties:
Gooseberry Patch Soup and Stew Round Up
Six Sisters’ Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday
Mandy’s Recipe Box Totally Tasty Tuesdays