I love quiche. I guess this technically isn’t a quiche because it is not in a crust, but to me, if it is baked in a pie plate, it is a quiche! I love this recipe because it is one of those that always turns out. Use the recipe as a starting point; you can change up the meat and cheese. It is delicious made with sausage and Colby Jack cheese. Or use Gruyere cheese with the ham. Delicious!
If you don’t like cottage cheese, don’t let it scare you off. Do you remember my recipe for Wonderfully Creamy One Pot Macaroni & Cheese? It is one of the first recipes we posted on the blog. (I really need to go back and redo some pictures on the blog, but we won’t worry about that today.) If you don’t share my love for cottage cheese, don’t worry– you won’t taste it. That dish of macaroni and cheese uses cottage cheese just like this quiche. It is mixed in with the ingredients, and when it is baked it just makes the dish creamy and wonderful.
Now I’m dreaming about summer and one of my favorite lunches. A bowl of cottage cheese with a fresh homegrown tomato with lots of freshly ground black pepper…
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1½ cups diced ham
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 clove (1/2 teaspoon) minced garlic
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Frank's recommended)
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Green onion tops or chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place one tablespoon of the butter a deep dish pie plate and place in the preheating oven to melt. When the butter has melted remove the pan from the oven and use a paper towel to coat the dish. Meanwhile, melt the other tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the ham, onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes until onion is soft and garlic is fragrant. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the cottage cheese, shredded cheese and hot sauce.
- Add the ham, onion and garlic mixture and stir well.
- Stir the flour, baking powder and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add to the egg mixture and combine.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Tent the quiche with foil if the edges are browning too much.
Linked to the following great parties:
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin Wednesday
White Lights on Wednesday Wednesday Whatsits
Six Sisters’ Stuff Strut Your Stuff Link Party
Sassy Little Lady Show and Tell Saturday
Chef in Training Tuesday Talent Show
Hammock Tracks Savory Bites Brunch Dishes