I love to eat soup in the winter. Normally I will enjoy it for lunch just about every day during the cold winter months. This winter has been unusually warm in Kansas, as it has been for much of the country. In fact, we have already had a few days that my girls have put on swim suits and soaked up some good old vitamin D!
This is a soup I would normally have made several times by now, but have not made it once this winter. Last week we were still in a stretch of warm weather, but I decided I had better make it because spring is here.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced green chilies
- 1 can (15 ounce) sweet corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup ½ and ½
- Colby-Jack Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro, minced
- Green Onions, chopped
- Avocado, diced
- Lime Wedges
- Corn Chips or Corn Tortilla Strips
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch Oven or soup pot. Add the onion, red bell pepper and jalapeno, if using, and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, Chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the flour and continue cooking for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilies, corn and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cooked chicken and the ½ and ½.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings.
Linked to the following parties:
Gooseberry Patch Soup and Stews Round Up
Chocolate, Chocolate and More Chocolate Thursdays Treasures
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
Walking on Sunshine Foodie Friends Friday
Six Sisters’ Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party