If there is one soup that takes me back to my childhood, it is cream of tomato. I’m sure a lot of you feel the same way. One of my favorite dinners when I was a child was grilled cheese and tomato soup. Every Friday at my sorority house in college, that is what we had for lunch. I hated tomatoes when I was a kid, but I loved tomato soup. As a child, we always had good old Campbell’s. This is so much better, and you can control the amount of sodium. Here, I didn’t serve it with the usual grilled cheese. We had my cheesy fondue bread. I’ll share the recipe with you later in the week. It is my go-to garlic bread and is positively addictive!
makes about 5 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- In a medium soup pot or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes, until soft.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about another minute.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes until bubbly.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and continue whisking so there aren't any lumps.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Pour in the milk and heat through -- be careful not to boil.
- There will be a few chunks of tomato.
- If you prefer a smooth soup and have an immersion hand blender, use the blender before you add the milk and process until desired consistency.
Our recipe for Cheesy Fondue Bread can be found here.
Shared at the following parties:
Our very own Weekend Potluck
Recipes for My Boys Thursdays Treasures
Walking on Sunshine Foodie Friends Friday
[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]
The Better Baker says
Oh YUM! I’m with you…tomato soup always reminds me of my childhood too! We just enjoyed some last week along with a grilled cheese, that I loved dipping in my soup! Oh how I love creamy tomato soup. This recipe sounds/looks heavenly. Thanks for sharing. The simple pleasures in life are the bestest. =)
Spatulas On Parade says
Thanks so much for sharing with us at FFF this week.
Dawn a host and fellow blogger.
Debi....Recipes For My Boys says
I love this soup! Thank you for sharing on Thursday’s Treasures. I’m featuring it on Week 58. <3 and hugs sweetie!