Those of you who follow us on Facebook might have seen that over the weekend my family enjoyed our first ears of sweet corn this summer. Along with a few other foods, fresh corn just says summertime to me. This is one of those dishes that I only make when I can get fresh corn; frozen just doesn’t do it justice. I’m looking forward to getting some fresh tomatoes also, but grape tomatoes work great until I get my hands on some fresh. If I’m making this for a dip, I will quarter the tomatoes so they are a little more manageable, but as a side salad I love them halved.
- 3 medium ears fresh corn (about 2 to 2½ cups)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4-5 green onions sliced
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded queso or Monterrey jack cheese
- 2 Avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove minced garlic (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3-4 tablespoons minced cilantro, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the 3 ears of corn, cover and bring back to a boil.
- Turn the heat off, leaving the pot on the hot burner.
- Let the corn cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn and set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to cut the corn off of the cob.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until cooled.
- Place the tomatoes, green onion, and cheese in a bowl.
- Add the cooled corn.
- Make sure it is cool or it will melt your cheese.
- In a small jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and shake well to combine.
- Pour over the tomato mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Right before serving add the diced avocado and stir gently to combine.
- I like to add my avocado right before serving so it is bright and fresh looking.
- Check out my recipe for Chipotle, Corn, and Avocado Salad for how I dice my Avocados.
- I sometime use pepper jack cheese if I want to give this a little kick!
Linked to these great parties:
White Lights on Wednesday Wednesday Whatsits
High Heels & Grills Work it Wednesday
Love Bakes Good Cakes All My Bloggy Friends
Mandy’s Recipe Box Totally Tasty Tuesdays
Memories By the Mile Link Party
The Best Blog Recipes Weekend re-Treat
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
Walking on Sunshine Foodie Friends Friday
Jam Hands Recipe Sharing Monday
The Chicken Chick Clever Chicks Blog Hop