Today’s recipe uses the Mexican Style Shredded Beef that I posted yesterday, but I also include instructions at the end of the recipe for using ground beef if you prefer.
I can’t stress enough to drain your shredded beef well so that your dish isn’t “soupy.” I place the beef on a paper-towel -lined plate and put a couple more towels on top, pressing down to remove as much of the liquid as possible.
I found this recipe in a community cookbook we found at my Nanny’s house after she passed away. All through the margins of the cookbook are her notes on the various recipes, and I love to look at it. It makes me feel close to her. The original recipe uses ground beef, but I enjoy it with the shredded beef as well. I also added the garlic and the Franks Hot Sauce because I don’t make too many recipes that don’t use these two ingredients!
- 1 pound shredded beef from Mexican Style Shredded Beef
- 2 cans (4 ounces, each) WHOLE green chilies, cut in half and seeded and drained on paper towels
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican Style Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Frank's Hot Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cut green chilies in half and place half in a lightly greased 2-quart shallow baking dish. I used a 11 x 7 inch dish. Add 1½ cups of the shredded cheese. Top with the shredded beef mixture and then layer the remaining chilies and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs and flour until smooth. Add the milk, Frank's, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Blend well and carefully pour the egg mixture over the casserole. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Top with the remaining ½ cup cheese and place back in the oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- You may also brown a pound of lean ground beef with 1 cup of chopped onion, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Use in place of the shredded beef.
- We like to top the bake with diced tomatoes, green onions, sour cream, and maybe a few sliced jalapeños.