It doesn’t get much better than a delicious bowl of soup to warm your tummy in these cold winter months. We usually serve it with a warm Savory Dilly Muffin or Cheesy Garlic Biscuit. This soup is super easy to prepare and will be loved by the whole family. It is one of my staples if I need to take a meal to someone.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric or curry
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 pound (2 cups) dried orzo
- ½ pound shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup half-n-half or whipping cream
- Melt butter in a large soup. Add the onions, celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes until beginning to softened, add garlic and continue cooking for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth and the seasonings. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small jar, mix the flour and water. Shake to combine. Pour into the simmering soup and add the orzo. Continue simmering for 10 more minutes. Add the cooked chicken and cream.
- We like a thicker soup so I use a full pound of orzo.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, start with 1 cup of the dried orzo.