This is a really really busy cooking week for Julie and me, so I’m sorry that I’m not going to have much time to chit-chat today. We hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season. Holiday parties are in full swing, and Christmas day will be here before we know it. I hate that one of my favorite times of the year always seems to go so fast. I’m going to slow down and enjoy it, but I think that will have to be next week!
Here is an easy recipe that is oh so yummy. It is on the stove for a little while, but it comes together easily. You can make the chicken mixture early in the day and then throw it all together in the afternoon and pop it in the oven.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed if using frozen
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- In a Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and saute for about 5 minutes. Stir in the corn meal and mix well. Continue cooking for about 2 more minutes. Slowly add the broth, tomato sauce and drained tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, corn, black beans and pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Line the baking dish with ½ the bag of the tortilla chips. Make sure they cover the bottom. Lightly press down on them to crush lightly. Spoon the chicken mixture over the tortilla chips. Lightly crush the remaining tortilla chips and place on top of the casserole. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees covered for 25 minutes, uncover and bake about 15 more minutes until bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired.
[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]