Now that school is in full swing and fall is here, I thought I’d share this pasta dish. With its delicious combination of pasta, chicken, and veggies in a creamy cheesy sauce, it is one of the ways I can get my kids to eat broccoli. They aren’t thrilled with the mushrooms either and I sometimes leave them out, but I love them. You can make this earlier in the day, but don’t put the topping on until right before you bake it.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ pound sliced mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cheese (8 ounces) Mozzarella, Swiss or Cheddar
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 10 ounces penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken breast
- Remaining 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs, or fresh if you prefer
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- In a large skillet (the largest you have) melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms and saute for about 8 to 10 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid and it is almost evaporated.
- Sprinkle with flour and continue cooking for a minute or two.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add the nutmeg and the cheese a handful at a time, stirring until melted.
- Stir in the thawed broccoli, cooked pasta and cooked chicken.
- If your skillet is not large enough, mix in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- In a small bowl melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the panko and the Parmesan Cheese.
- Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and the top is browned.
Linked to the following great parties:
Our very own Weekend Potluck
Six Sisters’ Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party
Everyday Mom’s Meals Church Supper
Addicted to Recipes Scrumptious Sunday Link Party
White Lights on Wednesdays Wednesday Whatsits
Hammock Tracks Savannah’s Savory Bites