This week we have a few side dish recipes to share with you. This first one goes really well with any type of grilled meat or just add a salad and have it as a meatless main dish. I sometimes add some fresh spinach or mushrooms to change it up, but that doesn’t make it quite so kid-friendly. I can hide the artichokes and onions. Just give any extra veggies a quick sauté with the onions.This is a great recipe to use as a base for your culinary creativity! Hope everyone has a great week!
- 1 cup converted rice (Uncle Ben's recommended)
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) chicken broth, plus water to equal 2¼ cups liquid.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounce) Artichoke Hearts, drained and rough chopped.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 cups Five Italian Cheese (8 ounce package), divided
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Bring chicken broth with water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and set aside covered for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, while the rice is cooking. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook about 3-4 minutes until tender. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped artichoke hearts, salt, pepper, milk, Ricotta, 1½ cups Italian Blend cheese, Parmesan and nutmeg. Mix well. Fold in the beaten eggs and transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish. Top with remaining ½ cup Italian Blend cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and cheese is lightly brown.