I have a couple of things to talk to you about today, some good news and some bad news for our friends and clients here in Hutch. I’ll start with the bad news and then hopefully soften it with the good. Julie has decided that she no longer wants to be a part of the Supper Club. I will most definitely miss working with her but completely understand that she needs a change in her life. Thank you, Julie, for your friendship and all the fun in the kitchen! Julie has written a letter to our friends and clients that you can read here.
While I’ll admit I have never been one to love change, I am looking forward to what the New Year has to bring. Although there will be some changes here at the club, I want to assure you the thing that won’t change is the wholesome food prepared and delivered to help make your life a little easier.
Now, onto the good! I’ve got a new recipe to share with you. If you’re in need of a hearty bowl of soup to warm you up this winter, my Southwestern Chicken Chowder will fix you right up. It has been so cold here in Kansas, but nothing compared to the crazy winter weather on the east coast. We spent plenty of time snuggled up over the holidays, and a soup like this really hits the spot. One of my New Year’s resolutions is that I am going to dedicate more time to the blog. I have missed spending time with you.
I’d like to thank you in advance for bearing with me through this transition. To my clients, I’d like to thank you for your business and want you to know how much you are appreciated. To our friends who stop by to visit here and check out my recipes, you are much appreciated as well.
I wish you and yours a Happy & Healthy New Year.
2018 promises to be an exciting year! ~Kim
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (or 1 tablespoon pickled)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 1 can (14 ounce) creamed corn
- 1 can (14 ounce) petite-diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 1-teaspoon Frank’s hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Mexican blend cheese
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with diced green onion, minced cilantro, sour cream, and extra cheese, Fritos or tortilla strips
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until soft. Add ground cumin and cook another minute until fragrant. Sprinkle with flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and half and half. Bring to a simmer and add the red bell pepper, green chilies, creamed corn, tomatoes, potatoes, Frank’s hot sauce, oregano and red pepper flakes. Continue simmering about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheese a handful stirring until melted. Stir in the chicken and warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy with desired toppings.