What says to you that fall has arrived? For me, as for a lot of you I’m sure, it is the start of school. Also, the beginning of football season, the state fair, and cooler morning temperatures signal the change of season. I love cooking in the fall, and nothing says fall to me like this Caramel Apple Cake. It is quite rich, so a small piece is all you need. If you are watching your salt intake or don’t care for salt, just leave it out of the topping recipe. It is delicious either way.
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2½ cups peeled diced apples (about 2 large)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, I like to use flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the white sugar, brown sugar, eggs
- and oil.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Stir in the diced apples and pecans. The batter will be quite stiff.
- Spread into a greased 9 x 13" pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, use the end of a knife and poke several slits in the cake.
- Pour the warm Salted Caramel Topping over the cake.
- In a medium saucepan heat the brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, and vanilla over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and stir constantly until the brown sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sea salt.
- Pour over warm cake.
The Better Baker says
OH GIRL! As soon as I get some apples, I’m making this delicious and tasty looking cake! LOVE the frosting too – MMMM good! Thanks for sharing. Printing now….XO
Kari Lindsay says
The cake looks really good all on its own…topping it with Salted Caramel takes it over the top. Yummmm.
The Country Cook says
Oh my goodness. It’s that sauce on top that just does it for me!! Looks gorgeous!! I shared on facebook today. Hope you ladies have a great weekend!! ~Brandie
Lois Christensen says
This looks delicious, especially with the caramel sauce! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!
It looks fabulous !!
We loooooooove apple cake and with caramel sauce – it must be delicious
Joan Hayes says
I think what I love best about the fall season is all the fabulous ways to incorporate apples into baking. This sounds fabulous. I’m featuring you at this week’s Thursday’s Treasures, thanks for sharing, pinned!
Kim and Julie (Sunflower Supper Club) says
Thanks so much Joan! We really appreciate the feature. I will be over to check it out!