I love the Kentucky Derby. Let’s be honest…I love the Mint Juleps and the food. When we lived in Pensacola, a friend of mine who had grown up in the South hosted a yearly Kentucky Derby party. It was one of the highlights of the year. From pickled shrimp, mini hot brown and Benedictine sandwiches, smoked ham on biscuits, and cheese grits to Bourbon pecan pie and Bourbon balls, it was a fabulous buffet of great Southern food. There just happened to be a lot of things made with Bourbon!
These Bourbon meatballs were one of the stars of the show. They are truly special! The Bourbon gives them a little something extra without being too overpowering. I often serve them at Christmas as well. Grab a hat and a mint julep and make a batch of these tasty little nuggets on May 4th!
- 1 recipe basic meatballs, find our recipe here
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- ⅓ cup Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Add the meatballs and continue heating until meatballs are heated through.
Shared at these great link parties:
Recipes for My Boys Thursday’s Treasures
Real Housemoms Fabulous Fridays!
Everyday Mom’s Meals Church Supper
Addicted to Recipes Scrumptious Sunday Link Party
Buns in My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
Six Sisters’ Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party