I’ve been on a bit of a lemon kick lately, not to mention a bit of a berry kick as well. Hey, it’s spring! So when I came across this recipe given to me by a dear friend, I thought I would give it a whirl. Regular readers already know that I am not a baker. It is just not really my thing. Actually, it is any recipe with yeast in it that terrifies me. Sometimes it works for me; sometimes it doesn’t. So I really don’t mind baking muffins or cornbread, and I make a really good pumpkin bread. I had never tried my hand at scones, and after making them I don’t know why. I can’t wait to try some different recipes because they were so easy to make that I will definitely make these again, and I’d like to try them with raspberries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small chunks and chilled
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg and lemon zest and mix.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and the mixture forms a soft dough. Gently mix in the blueberries.
- Shape into a ball and lightly knead on a lightly floured surface 8-10 times. I did it really lightly because I tried not to crush too many of the berries. Shape into a 9 inch circle that is about ½ inch thick onto a buttered baking sheet. (I used my Pampered Chef round stone) Cut into 8 wedges with a sharp knife, don't separate. Brush the top with the 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Shared at the following great parties:
Walking on Sunshine Foodie Friends Friday
The Mandatory Mooch Tasty Thursdays
Hammock Tracks Savory Bites Brunch Dishes
The REAL Housewives of Riverton Recipe Round Up
Everyday Mom’s Meals Church Supper
[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]