My family loves Biscuits & Gravy for brunch. It doesn’t get much better than combining those flavors with eggs and cheese as far as I’m concerned. Earlier on the blog I shared another Sausage, Egg and Biscuit Casserole my family enjoys. While delicious, that casserole requires you to make the gravy on the stovetop before serving. I decided to play with that recipe and see if I could figure out a way to eliminate the need to do that. I wanted to be able to serve the dish right out of the oven without any other steps. It makes serving brunch even easier!
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3¼ cups milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon Frank's hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3¼ cups Bisquick
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium high until no longer pink and cooked through.
- Turn the heat to low, sprinkle the flour and stir to coat the browned sausage. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in 2 cups of milk and cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the hot sauce, ground sage, kosher salt and pepper into the sausage gravy.
- Pour the sausage gravy in the bottom of a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Evenly spread the shredded cheese over the gravy.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and ¼ cup milk until well combined. Evenly pour over the cheese in the casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Bisquick and the remaining 1 cup milk. Using 2 spoons drop spoonfuls of the batter evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until eggs are set and topping is lightly browned.
Linked to the following parties:
Our very own Weekend Potluck
The Chicken Chick Clever Chicken Blog Hop
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday