What do you do when your kids are begging you to make your Chicken Tamale Bake and you don’t have any chicken? You make this! The recipe uses the same corn base as the Chicken Tamale Bake, but I changed it up and used beef because that is what I happened to have on hand. I will definitely be making this again — the whole family enjoyed it. Next time, I plan to get pound of smoked Brisket from our favorite BBQ place here in Hutchinson, Roy’s Hickory Pit BBQ. It’s hands-down the best BBQ I’ve ever had! Their BBQ sauce is amazing as well, and that is what I used in this dish.
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14 ounce) cream of corn
- 1 can (4 ounce) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 box (8 ½ ounce) corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves minced garlic (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can Chili Beans with sauce, don't drain (I used Bush's)
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ Sauce (I used our local favorite, Roy's)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 x 13” dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg, cream corn, chopped green chilies and 1 ½ teaspoons taco seasoning and ½ cup of the cheese.
- Add the corn muffin mix and stir until just combined.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13” dish, spread to evenly coat the bottom.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the corn mix is baking, cook the ground beef with the onion, garlic, salt & pepper in a skillet until no longer pink and cooked through.
- Add the can of chili beans and the cup of BBQ sauce.
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- When the corn is done, it will be barely set and still quite moist.
- Using a fork, pierce the entire surface, it may kind of stick to the fork.
- Evenly spread the beef mixture on top of the corn mixture.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1½ cups cheese.
- Place back into the oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
Linked to the following great parties:
Chef in Training Tuesday Talent Show
Sassy Little Lady Show and Tell Saturday
The REAL Housewives of Riverton Recipe Round Up
Everyday Mom’s Meals Church Supper