We love a good hot breakfast at our house. The trouble is, we get up at 5:15 on weekdays and I don’t really want to get up any earlier to get a hot breakfast on the table. I was searching on the web the other day and found a baked omelet recipe on Allrecipes which was submitted in 2006.
I tried it and discovered that it is wonderful. We have had it 3 times already! I prep what I am putting in it the night before (like chopped onions, peppers etc.). Then I just mix some eggs, flour, and milk together and let it bake, which happens to be the key to the ease of it. While it is baking, I can go ahead and get ready for the morning.
Give it a try sometime, and you will see how easy it is. Hope it helps bring back a hot breakfast to your table on busy mornings like it did to ours.Recipe Adapted from Allrecipes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese – I use whatever I have on hand
- 2 cups chopped veggies and/or meat of choice
- Hot Sauce like Tabasco if you like
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 dish. In a blender (or place in a bowl and use an immersion blender), combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper and hot sauce (optional). Cover and process until smooth. Pour into prepared dish.
- Either bake plain or at this point spread the 2 cups of chopped ingredients over the top of the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set, about 15 minutes.
- The egg will puff up and rise above the dish – don’t worry!
- When set, take out of oven and sprinkle the cup of cheese over the omelet.
- Fold any of the omelet which has puffed up back into the pan.
- Loosen the edges of the omelet from the pan.
- Start rolling up from the long side.
- You should be able to roll 2 times for sure and maybe 3 (depending on the amount of ingredients you added).
- Roll onto serving platter.
- Cut into 4 pieces.
- Top with any of the following – salsa, more cheese, sour cream, yogurt, fresh chopped veggies or whatever trips your trigger!