I had the biggest case of writer’s block trying to think of something to talk about in this post. Our hearts have been so heavy this weekend. The victims, families of the victims and people of Paris are in our thoughts and prayers in the wake of the absolute evil that took place there. I worry so much about the world that our kids are growing up in. I know I hugged my family a little tighter this weekend.
I thought a comfort food dish would be good to share with you today. We are definitely a meat and potatoes family and this casserole is one of our favorites. It combines our love of bacon cheeseburgers and potatoes. The creamy beef mixture is layered with cheese and potatoes, and then you dress it up with your favorite burger toppings. I often take this casserole to potlucks or if I need a meal for a friend.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion diced (1½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (3 tablespoons)
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (Can also use a 2.5-ounce bag of real bacon pieces)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Colby/Jack blend cheese
- 1 bag (30-32 ounces) Tater Tots, thawed (You may not need them all)
- Garnishes for Serving:
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Green Onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet with sides. When the beef is cooked about halfway, add the onion. Drain.
- Add the garlic, kosher salt and pepper to the beef. Cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the butter to the beef and melt. Sprinkle with flour and stir. Let cook for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Cut the cream cheese into pieces and stir into the beef mixture along with the sour cream. Stir until mixed in and smooth.
- Stir in the packet of dressing mix and the crumbled cooked bacon.
- Place the beef mixture in the bottom of a large casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with shredded cheese
- Place the tater tots in rows over the top.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Top with desired toppings.
Linked to the following parties:
Our very ownWeekend Potluck
Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday
The Chicken Chick Clever Chicks Blog Hop