First, let me get to our apology. If you have signed up to receive our emails, you may have received some “extra” emails from us in the last couple of weeks. We are so sorry for bombarding your inbox.
If you are a regular reader of our little space here in the food world, you probably have noticed a lot of changes. We have been working with our AWESOME website designer Rosemary Miller to make the site even better, and we love the job she has done. We have moved our website from Blogger to WordPress. That was almost 400 posts that Rosemary transferred for us! Everything was transferred, so you won’t miss a thing. Our posts on the “old” site have been redirected to the new site so all of your favorites, bookmarks, pins, and any other links will still work.
For our clients here in Hutchinson, we now have online ordering and will soon offer online payments to help make your life even easier. Again, we’re really sorry you’ve had to put up with our “growing pains” during this transition. We thank you and appreciate you sticking with us. We’d love to know what you think of our new look.
Now, let’s get onto the fun stuff…the food! This yummy dish puts a twist on the taco. We love to grill chicken and do fajitas and tacos quite a bit. Getting tired of the the traditional southwest flavors, I decided to use an Asian marinade for the chicken and pair it with slaw. The chicken has a slight kick from the chili powder, and the sweetness of the slaw dressing pairs really well alongside it, wrapped in the tortilla.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast or tenderloins
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 small head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds, toasted (plus more for garnish if desired)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime, about 3 tablespoons
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 Corn or flour tortillas for serving
- Cilantro for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, Cajun seasoning and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Whisk until combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Pour marinade over chicken and place in the fridge for a few hours.
- In a large bowl, combine all the slaw ingredients and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Don't toss with the dressing until serving time.
- For the dressing: Place all of the ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake until combined. Let sit for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- When ready to serve, grill the chicken and set aside to rest. Slice into strips. Toss the slaw with the dressing. Add chicken and slaw to a tortilla and garnish with extra cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Cook's Note: This recipe will make more slaw than you will need for just the tacos. You can easily cut the ingredients in half, but I like to not dress it all and then have some for later in the week.
Kim[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="6" format="thumbnails" image_size="medium"]
Share Your Thoughts